The following tips will help to keep you and your information safe from Identity Thieves.
- Minimize the amount of identification information that you carry, including credit cards.
- Limit the amount of credit cards you apply for. Don't apply for credit cards for free stuff.
- Put passwords on your credit cards, bank accounts and phone accounts, but do not use obvious passwords.
- Don't carry your social security card with you. Only give your social security number when it is absolutely necessary.
- Pay attention to billing cycles and follow up with companies if your bills don't arrive on time.
- Shred documents containing personal information.
- Never provide personal information over the phone, through the mail, or over the internet unless you have initiated the contact or know whom you are talking with.
- Notify credit bureaus immediately if you detect errors on your credit reports.
- Order your credit report every year from the three major credit reporting agencies and check them for accuracy
- Trans Union
- Do not leave personal mail, identification, applications, or other items in plain view in your room or car.
Think you have been a vicitm of Identity Theft, click here.
Click here to go back to Identity Theft Home Page.